To provide epic opportunities for followers of Christ to escape the chaotic pace of the daily grind and enter into a spiritual rhythm of adventure that will revive your soul.
Our Philosophy (Wilderness Theology):
As followers of Christ and servant-leaders for Him, we look at Scripture for patterns (doctrine) to glorify God by having a better understanding of how to relate to and live out our destiny in Christ. One of the most dynamic patterns from beginning to end of God’s Word is how God has established the outdoor wilderness as his canvas to paint purpose, vision and beauty to and through His people. Here are a few examples below…
- God creating Adam in the wilderness and Eve in the garden
- God calling Abraham to the Mountains
- Moses encountered God on Mt. Sinai
- The Hebrews learned dependence of God in the wilderness
- John the Baptist prepared The Way of the Lord from the wilderness of Judea
- Jesus confirmed by the Father in the Jordan River
- Jesus led by the Spirit to be tested in the desert
- Jesus called disciples from the shores and outdoors
- Jesus preached sermons from the Mount and taught on the seas
- Peter, James and John witnessed the manifested Jesus’ Glory on a high mountain
- Christ crucified on a hill
- Jesus returning again to Mt. Olives
- The Lord will be gathered with the hosts of Heaven on Mt. Zion
(Just to name a few)
Throughout history the Lord used the wilderness to transform lives and clarify vision for mission-driven leaders. Soul Excursions understands how essential a quality outdoor adventure is to facilitate defining moments that teach us to depend on Him. It begins with being called out of our man-made conveniences, distractions and demands, and into a divine rhythm of intimate fellowship with the Creator, His creation and other Christ followers.
- Providing quality wilderness experiences
- Team leadership
- Experiential organic learning experiences
- Relational approach to Christ and the Kingdom of God through the work of His Spirit
- Love, Truth and Grace
Soul Excursions is a team of adventurers working together. Primary leaders are Mike Masso and Joe Cantu. SE also coordinates with other outfitters, leaders and guides affiliated with the different expeditions offered. Both Mike and Joe have spent many years in the outdoors, combining hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, backpacking, camping in areas such as the Inca Trail and Macchu Pichu in Peru, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, the Grand Canyon, Big Bend NP, Guadalupe Mountains, Yellowstone, Tetons, Great Smoky Mountains and other adventure destinations. Collectively their adventures have also taken them on mission’s trips to Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, London, Ireland and other UK areas.
Mike Masso is the director of Leadership Alliance, an organization that provides leadership and life coaching (www.leadershipalliance.org), certified by the World Coach Institute (WCI) and a member of the International Coach Federation (ICF). Mike also owns Viva Life, a Christian Book & Gift center in McAllen, TX. He is currently broker-owner of Prime Ventures Commercial Real Estate. Over the last 20 years Mike has devoted much of his life to launching and operating several successful businesses, directing ministry operations and serving a multitude of clients in pursuing their calling. Over the years, while Mike has been involved in many business and ministry ventures, he has also been very active in his children’s lives. Mike has four wonderful children; Josh, Jordan, Jarred and Tori, ranging in age from 24 to 13 years old, respectively. Mike is married to Robyn, his wonderful wife for over 25 years. Without his family’s support and God’s never-failing guidance, Mike would not be on the path towards accomplishing his goals and dreams while helping others do the same.
Joe Cantu has been an educator for over 11 years and was awarded District Teacher of the Year for MISD. In addition to his passion for education, he has served in full-time ministry as youth pastor and as a missionary in various part of the world. He is married to Janna and has a wonderful 17 year old son, Caleb. His passion for the outdoors is connected to his devotion to serve Christ to fulfill his calling to the Lord.